Saturday, October 7, 2017

Recipe: Stir Fried Beef with Thai Basil Leaves

It's been a while since I cooked something Thai in my kitchen, so I flipped through "a little taste of Thailand" cookbook that I have and found this recipe for Beef with Thai basil leaves. Perfect, I thought - I conveniently have a piece of beef in the fridge and plentiful Thai basil leaves growing in the garden.

The beauty of this recipe is that it takes less than 5 minutes of prep work and just 5 minutes to cook. That's about the same amount of time it took me to cook the rice and fry an egg each for Hubby and I. And voila - lunch is served!

The beef was tender and flavorful, with hints of spiciness coming from the chilli and the Thai basil leaves lends a lovely aroma to the dish. Loved this- will definitely be cooking this again! An easy and quick dish for a weekday dinner or quick lunch.







Beef with Thai basil leaves
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from a little taste of Thailand
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients
250g sirloin or striploin steak, finely sliced
1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
1 large handful Thai basil leaves
2 cili padi / bird's eye chilli, lightly crushed with the side of your knife
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp sugar



1. In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, oyster sauce, water and sugar. Set aside.

2. Heat oil in wok over high heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 1/2 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the beef, onion and chilli, and stir fry for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until meat is cooked.

3. Add the sauce from Step 1 as well as the Thai basil, and cook for another 30 seconds until the basil begins to wilt.

4. Serve with rice.



Thai-style stir fried beef


If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates.. Thanks :)

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of these leaves in my garden. Great with any meat - a popular dish at a Thai restaurant here, they cook with chicken. I love these leaves in salad too, pomelo salad, for instance. Very fragrant!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop any comments or questions you may have here. Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...